Tuesday, June 20, 2006

It's hard out here for a pimp!

Sorry title doesn't fit I just heard the song and it kind of amuses me that it won an Oscar, because it probably wasn't even the best song on it's album. Anyways, the reason for this post is that sadly one of my prognostications has come to pruition. About three years ago I said that a team that Dirk Nowitski is the best player on will never win a championship. Dirk is a great player, don't get me wrong, but in crunch time he tends to disappear. This year, he was clutch and I thought to myself "He has really turned the corner this is not the same Dirk of three years ago". Again my thoughts were backed up by Dagromm when this discussion came up a few weeks ago, we agreed that he is not the soft jumpshooter that we remember from four or five years ago, this Dirk takes it to the rack and finishes strong. In the Phoenix series the new Dirk kind of went away and the outside shooter returned but Dirk shot 40+% with very soft defense being played on him. He then would take it to the hole with Tim "You can't see me" Thomas guarding him, and I would say man that is the Championship Dirk I have been seeing all year. But in the back of my mind I would think I am not a Nowitness, this Dirk is being Avery forced and as soon as some D is played on him by a physical guy he is going to turn into old Dirk. Eff me twice, I was right. In the Miami series he returned, A Dirk that was afraid to take it to the hole with a guy in the middle, A soft jumpshooter. The Mavs need a superstar that will take it to the rack. Josh Howard is good, but much like Nowitski he is a second or third option. Jet at the point is OK, but Devinn Harris is a much better option, as he is a true point guard with some defensive skills. I was really impressed with the work that he did on Wade in this series. If given a player that would take the ball strong to the basket Devinn would have more assists and would have stats like Nash only much better defensve skills. Is this player in the NBA right now? I think that he is, and his name is Steve Francis. OK, OK, now that you have stopped laughing, Stevie Franchise would be easy to get from NY with his awful contract. He wants to be on a good team, He as an ability to score, my only problm with him is tht if paired with Dirk would he turn into a jump shooter like he did in Houston with Cutino Mobley. A sign and trade with Terry and throwing in expiring conract of KVH could net the Mavs Franchise and one of the Knicks draft picks. The knicks wod benefit with the dumping of a huge contract that they don't need, and getting Terry a guy who would love playing 2 guard in a shoot first system. Dirk would then become a second option and Howard a third giving the Mavs 3 good options and Possibly two guy who will drive the lane and one that is explosive like DWade, and sadly a Superstar that no matter how far he falls is still given the benefit by the refs in Francis. Just watch the last part of the season with the Knicks where Francis beat people of the dribble, threw up an awful shot and got the call. In closing kill me please, kill me; my Mavs are done and Dirk is a soft non-factor. Big Shan thanks for reminding me of my prediction of years gone by.

3 comments:

Nate said...

Gawd I loved that movie. Hustle and Flow was better than I ever expected.

The song gets better if you've seen the movie, it ties the whole thing together.

Cyber D said...

you may be right... I title in Dallas may not occure while Dirk plays for the Mavs.

Nate said...

Whoa! Suddenly the playa hatas come out!